Water Wise Water Course
JBWD’s Water Course provided our fifth graders with a field day of fun and educational activities. Most of the action took place in the gardens. Everyone had a blast, and the lessons helped kids prepare for state exams. School kids of all ages are welcome to come visit our Water Wise Demonstration Garden to learn more about the desert watershed, native plants, water conservation and more! Contact the District Office to arrange for a class visit!
School Water Saving Competition
We challenged 5th-graders at Joshua Tree Elementary School and Friendly Hills Elementary School to see how much water they could save in their homes. The results were amazing – more than 2.5 million gallons in annual savings between 2008 and 2012. JBWD provided instructions and an activity kit containing a drip gauge, flow rate test bag, low-flow fixtures, and similar materials for kids to use in their homes and measure the water savings.
Did you know . . .
- What every Mojave Desert resident should know about groundwater. Visit the Mojave Water Education Kiosk. http://hegel.lewiscenter.org/users/mhuffine/mwak/mwakfs1.htm
- The EPA has loads of games and information for kids, students and teachers. Check out Drinking Water & Ground Water Kids’ stuff at http://water.epa.gov/learn/kids/drinkingwater/index.cfm
- How much water does it take to grow a hamburger? Take the Fun Quiz at http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/sc1.html
- How much water is on the earth? Here’s some great information that puts it all in perspective at http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html
- Save water in your home: http://www.homeadvisor.com/r/home-water-conservation
Want to learn more about using water wisely?
- Water Saver Home features an animated home tour with excellent tips and information http://www.h2ouse.org/
- Save Our Water is a statewide program to help Californians reduce their water use http://www.saveourh2o.org/
- National Geographic’s Water Footprint Calculator takes about 15 minutes to complete http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/freshwater/change-the-course/water-footprint-calculator/
- EPA’s Fix a Leak Week page shows you how to check for leaks and fix them http://www.epa.gov/watersense/our_water/fix_a_leak.html
WaterSense is an EPA program focused on water efficiency and shows what you can do to improve it http://www.epa.gov/watersense/our_water/fix_a_leak.html
Read about it:
- The End of Abundance: Economic Solutions to Water Scarcity by David Zetland
A fresh approach to water scarcity with examples, insights and ideas for anyone interested in management of our most precious resource.
- Introduction to Water in California by David Carle (California Natural History Guides)
A well-illustrated, easy to read guide to California’s water that should be in every home.
- Cadillac Desert: The American West and its Disappearing Water by Marc Reisner
A classic beautifully written western water history.
- Taking on Water by Wendy J. Pavich
A water expert tells of her personal quest to reduce her water footprint. Both humorous and serious.
- Blue Revolution: Unmaking America’s Water Crisis by Cynthia Barnett
A stab at the heart of water waste, and introduction of a new water ethic.