Skip to main content

Mojave Water Agency

May contain: person
District staff improving infrastracture. 

What Mojave Water Agency Does for JBWD?
It is one of 29 state water contractors with access to supplemental water from the California Aqueduct. The MWA is charged with the responsibility to “do any and every act necessary to be done so that sufficient water may be available for any present or future beneficial use of the lands and inhabitants” within its service area.

Why is it needed?
Most of the area served by the MWA is desert and experiencing groundwater overdraft. That is, more ground water is used each year than is replaced by nature through rain and snowmelt. A plan to deal with this problem has been approved by the courts and must be administered by a regional authority. The alternative would, in all probability, result in growth limitations and other economic hardships.

What are its boundaries?
The MWA serves nearly 5,000 square miles of high desert in San Bernardino County. This region includes the communities of Adelanto, Apple Valley, Baldy Mesa, Barstow, Daggett, El Mirage, Flamingo Heights, Fort Irwin, Grandview, Helendale, Hinkley, Johnson Valley, Joshua Tree, Landers, Lenwood, Lucerne Valley, Newberry Springs, Oak Hills, Phelan, Pinon Hills, Pioneertown, Silver Lakes, Spring Valley Lake, Summit Valley, Victorville, Yermo and Yucca Valley.

Why do we have to pay taxes to the MWA?
The MWA property taxes, collected on the county tax rolls, consist of two types of assessments. This money is mostly used by the MWA to pay debt service and maintenance in connection with the State Water Project. One tax is permanently set at 11-1/4 cents per $100 of assessed valuation on land only. The second tax levied to supplement the first assessment and also to fund MWA administration, is set each year. It is currently wet at 5-1/2 cents per $100 of assessed valuation on land and improvements.

What does the MWA do for us?
Since 1991 the MWA has been regularly importing water from the California Aqueduct to recharge the groundwater from which local water companies and other well owners derive well water for all uses including domestic, agricultural and industrial.

How can I learn more about the Mojave Water Agency?
The Mojave Water Agency’s Public Information Department is happy to help any member of the public to learn more about the Agency. For details, call (760) 240-9201 or (800) 254-4242 during regular business hours.

Join our mailing list