Skip to main content

Customer Support FAQs

Welcome to our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page!

Read below to see answers to your most frequently asked questions. 


New Service FAQs

Will I need to pay a Deposit? 

A credit assessment is obtained through the social security number (SSN). An applicant with acceptable credit will not be required to pay a deposit. If the applicant does not provide an SSN or has poor credit, they will be required to pay the guarantee deposit.

After establishing a satisfactory payment record, the District will refund the guarantee deposit by crediting the customer’s account. If service is discontinued before 24 months, the deposit will be applied to the closing bill, and a refund check for the balance (if applicable) will be mailed to the customer at their last known addres

Will the credit check affect my credit score? 

No, we use a soft credit check which is similar to what a bank does when you open a bank account.

What if I don’t feel comfortable providing my social security number? 

We cannot require a social security number, but you will need to come into the office in person with your valid government-issued I.D., and a deposit will be required. 

What if I left an unpaid balance and want to start service again? 

If a customer had water service in the past with Joshua Basin Water District and has a balance owed on the closed account (bad debt), full payment of the outstanding balance must be paid in addition to the required account set-up fee and deposit prior to starting up service.

Will there need to be a paid water meter on my property to start service? 

A paid water meter is required to start service. Keep in mind that the presence of a meter box may not be indicative of a paid water meter. You can verify with Customer Service if the parcel has a paid meter. 

I’ve been a customer for a long time and have multiple accounts. Why do you need to recheck my identity? 

As a creditor under the Red Flag Rule, Joshua Basin Water District is required to perform this check. The Red Flag Rule is a Federal Law and is in place to mitigate identity theft for all of our customers.


AutoPay FAQs

Does the District have Autopay? 

Autopay is a convenient automatic payment option that allows customers to pay the monthly water bill directly from a checking or savings account.

The District offers autopay as a convenient automatic payment option that allows customers to pay their monthly water bills directly from a checking or savings account. To apply for autopay, complete the Autopay Request form and return the original signed form to the District, along with a voided check from your checking account or a deposit slip from your savings account.

​​​​​​​When will Auto Pay start? 

Autopay will normally take effect within two billing cycles of the date your request is received. Please continue to pay your bill until it indicates that Auto Pay has taken effect. The Auto Pay deduction from your account will be made on the 19th of the month, unless that date falls on a weekend or holiday, in which case the payment will be deducted on the next business day.

Can I select the date that Autopay is drafted? 

No. Auto Pay will automatically deduct your payment as indicated when you signed up.

I want to know more about Autopay. 

Will I still receive a bill?

Yes, you will receive your monthly bill indicating the amount that will be automatically deducted from your account.

 What if I don’t agree with the bill amount?

Please contact the District immediately to correct any problems prior to the due date.

 What if I have more than one account?

You must submit a request for each account you wish to enroll in Auto Pay. If all payments are to be paid from one account, only attach one voided check or deposit slip. If you use different accounts, a separate voided check or deposit slip must accompany the appropriate request forms.

 What if I close out my existing account and request to start up service at a different address?
You must submit a request for each account you wish to enroll in Autopay.

 What will happen if there are insufficient funds in my account?
On the first occurrence, the normal returned check charge and tag fee will be added to your account and, in addition to the bill due, must be paid in full. On the second occurrence, the same fees will be added and you will be dropped from the Auto Pay program. You will also be required to pay your account on a cash only basis for at least 18 months. Additionally, if payment is not made before the delinquent date indicated on your statement, penalties will be applied.

 What happens if I change banks?
Notify the District immediately by completing a new Auto Pay request for each account with the new banking information. During the transfer process, you will need to ensure that payment is made on your account until the transfer takes place.

 How can I stop Auto Pay?
Just give us a call and tell us. Auto Pay will end within 10 days of your request. If you have any questions about the program, please contact us at (760) 366-8438.

What if I have multiple accounts and want AutoPay? 

A new autopay application must be submitted for each account you wish to enroll in autopay. If you email or fax the application, the customer must follow up to make sure the application was received in order to expedite your request.


Payment FAQs

When is my Payment Due? 

Bills for water service are rendered at the end of each month.  Payment is due upon receipt and is delinquent 21 days after the date of billing. An outside drop box is available to make a payment at any time. 

What are my available Payment Options? 

Cash, Check, Money Order, or Cashier’s Check are accepted in the office. Credit card or e-check payments are accepted online through our third-party payment processor, Paymentus. The District also offers autopay, a convenient automatic payment option that allows the customer to pay their monthly water bill directly from their checking or savings account. Beginning May 1st, 2023, credit card, debit card, or e-check payments made through our electronic bill pay service, Paymentus will include a convenience fee of $2.20 for each $200 transaction.


High Bills, Leaks, and Water Loss FAQs

How does an unusually high water bill happen? 

There are several reasons why customers may suddenly find an unusually high water bill:

1) In the winter, a sudden cold spell may cause a frozen water pipe to burst. In the morning when the pipe thaws, the water will flow and if there is no one around, this can cause water loss

2) In the summer, sudden water usage can occur if water is forgotten while watering trees, gardens or left on overnight

3) Sometimes, a plastic pipe can be accidentally broken or chewed on by an animal trying to access the water

4) Water theft

5) Although rare, a meter misread

Are there other things that can cause high water bills? 

Leaks! Leaks can be very sneaky and costly; sometimes, one can see them, and other times, they are difficult to detect. Leaky toilets can sometimes be heard, often not seen, and many times ignored. A worn washer in a hose bib can allow a faucet to leak a great deal of water very quickly, and sprinkler systems can be the source of a leak. Irrigation systems can occasionally become worn out by the elements or animals and cause a leak. A pencil-sized stream can leak hundreds of gallons in a short amount of time. Damp soil, extra green grass, weeds, or plants can be clues to an underground leak. Some leaks never surface!

What can be done to prevent leaks? 

Check all pipes with a leak detector. Read your meter and confirm that the reading is higher now than the last reading on your water bill. If the reading is lower, call the office for a re-read.

What can I do if I have a leak, but cannot locate it? 

1) Turn off all water use in your house, such as washing machines, evaporative coolers, even ice makers.

2) Make sure that irrigation or sprinkler valves are shut off.

3) Check to see if the leak detector on your water meter is moving (that is the small triangle that is located on the face of the meter. This will show small leaks, the ones that don't always surface.

4) If the triangle is moving very slowly you may have a leak.

5) To help you somewhat locate the area of the leak, shut off the main valve where water goes into the house; possibly by the water heater. Once that is closed, check the leak detector again. If the movement has not stopped, the leak is probably outside in the line before it reaches the house.

Who's responsible for water losses? 

Anything on the street side of the meter is the responsibility of JBWD. Please contact us immediately if you notice a leak. We have staff on-call 24-7. Anything on the property side of the meter is the responsibility of the tenant or owner of the property.


Join our mailing list